Malnutrition refers to a condition in which the body does not get enough nutrients where the cause can poor intake, absorption or utilization leading to irreversible or reversible short term and long term symptoms. Examples of these nutrients include; Minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and potassium, proteins, lipids, and carbohydrate.
Malnutrition in children is a common global health problem that majorly exists in many regions especially the developing countries. According to WHO malnutrition accounts for 54% mortality among children globally and about 35% deaths of children below five years result from underweight and needed require medical treatment.
Signs and Symptoms
1. Stunting – This refers to an extremely low height for age. This can be as a result of lack of protein or calcium. Calcium is needed for bone modelling and ossification leading to its formation and growth while protein is a requirement in forming tissue structures. Growth occurs from birth to age between 16 and 18 years. After this period the growth plate closes thus no more growth.
2. Underweight – During child growth, weight gain should be directly proportional to age. Underweight means the child has less than what is expected of him/her at that age. Underweight is directly a result of muscle wasting.
3. Muscle wasting – Due to loss of proteins and other bodybuilding nutritional supplies, a child becomes thin which is evident by poor skin turgor.
4. Signs that a health professional can also look for are; fatigue, dizziness, low blood pressure, sunken eyes and high pulse rate.
Types of Malnutrition
- Protein-energy malnutrition – results from a deficiency in almost all nutrients. It can further be classified into; acute malnutrition which is characterized by rapid weight loss and chronic malnutrition which is characterized by stunted growth that the child transitions with into adulthood. examples of conditions include Marasmus, Rickets and Kwashiorkor.
- Micronutrient deficiency diseases – results from lack of a specific micro-nutrient for instance; Iron, folate, vitamin A and examples include anaemia, scurvy, and night blindness.
Causes of malnutrition
- Inadequate food intake – this can be as a result of the absence of food, lack of appetite or inability to swallow.
- Sanitation – in 2008, WHO estimated that half of the malnutrition cases were as a result of poor hygiene, unsafe water that resulted in intestinal worms and diarrhea thus leading to loss of nutrients.
- Maternal factors – this can be poor breastfeeding habits, malnutrition in the mother thus insufficient milk for the baby. It can also be as a result of poor maternal care.
- Poverty – this refers to a socio-economic status that’s below the standard of provision of a child’s basic needs. It’s a common cause of all the above factors since hygiene, shortage of resources falls under it.
- Diseases – Some disease can result in malnutrition. Examples are Infestation by intestinal worms that sucks blood and lead to anemia.
Treatment and prevention
Prevention measures include observing proper hygiene, eating a balanced diet, taking iron and zinc and ORS tablets during diarrhea to control the condition and nutrients loss and early treatment of any disease.
Treatment measures include administering antibiotics to prevent bacterial infections, antiprotozoal to treat worms, and antifungals to treat different skin conditions. Depending on the condition intravenous feeds are prescribed.
It is important to be able to understand different types of diet that a person is supposed to consume before and after undergoing the process of plastic surgery. Your diet after surgery will help in preventing complications and ensuring your speedy recovery. This goes a long way in helping a patient heal faster and regain back his normal health. Here are some of the pieces of advice a physician will give you on plastic surgery before and after the procedure.
Plastic surgery before and after the procedure: What to eat
Protein intake is one of the most essential components for quick recovery. Proteins help in the production of new blood cells and collagen. The proteins are an essential component for the proper functioning of the immune system together with the central and the nervous system. A man and a woman are advised to take in 1.5 and 1.2 grams of protein in a day and respectively
The meals to use during plastic surgery containing a high amount of proteins include lean organic meat, fish that has a low-fat quantity, soybeans, eggs, quinoa, and nuts.
2. Minerals and vitamins
It is important to take in large amounts of minerals and vitamins which help in promoting the healing of the wounds after plastic surgery. Due to surgical stress, it is advisable for a plastic surgery patient to take a variety of antioxidants like selenium, magnesium, and vitamin A and Vegetables have a high quantity of antioxidants thus a patient is advised to eat them for a quick recovery.
Plastic surgery before and after : What food to refrain
A person who is scheduled to undergo the process of plastic surgery is advised to refrain from food rich in carbs or refined sugar.it has been proven that this food type reduces the immune function and also promotes inflammation process.
After plastic surgery: What diet to practice
Having a good nutrition plan is important before and after plastic surgery. This helps in quickening the healing process and also the prevention infections on the healing wounds. Food such as avocado, blueberries and sour cherries should be eaten after plastic surgery.
It is important to eat a healthy type of food before and after plastic surgery because it helps in boosting a person’s immune systems and also makes the recovery process after surgery much quicker.
The kind of food we consume has made life so miserable for some people. This is because so many diseases have been affecting us from the food that we eat. The common problem is affecting a higher percentage being excess weight leading to obesity in some cases. So what are the safe ways to lose weight?
There are so many options when you read through the internet, and most of them convince you that you can use their plan or products to cut down your weight. But the truth is that you need to identify the root cause of your problem before you can get a permanent solution. Today we shall talk about ideal protein weight loss program which has proven to be the only reliable solution that can manage your health problems.
What is it all about?
This program is very specific, and it mainly works on a scientifically proven way to help you lose weight. The human body relies on carbohydrate to produce energy for the cells. But when there are too much of the carbohydrates, some will be converted into glucose which is stored in your body for feature use. Now when you are on this weight loss program, carbohydrates will be restricted in your diet as you take food rich in fats and proteins. When the body lacks energy, it will convert fat into an energy source called ketones through the process of ketosis. This ensures you have the energy you need as you also loose fats and calories. This is how they help to lose weight.
Foods to eat on this diet includes Fish (anchovy, flounder, tuna, redfish, and trout), Poultry (Skinless chicken, quail, and turkey), Beef (Tenderloin, sirloin, rump) Pork, Veal and Vegetarian. The kind of food that you need to get rid of are those that are rich in carbohydrates. This may include soda, wine, beer, fruits, potatoes and anything rich in carbohydrates.
Benefits of ideal protein weight loss program include
- Enhances the fat burning process in the body
- Increased cognition and mental clarity
- Improves our physical energy and strength
- Improves the skin of those having acne problem
- Improves cholesterol and triglyceride level in the body
- Regulation of hormones in the body
- Regulates the blood sugar level
Good health nutrition can be one of the simplest self-controlled ways that will keep you away from frequent trips to see the doctors. Your food choice will influence your freedom and control on how your health status will be today and in the future. The whole concept of health nutrition deals with what the body receives and the importance of the nutrients that the food elements produced. When the body receives appropriate and required nutrients in a timely and balanced manner, all the body processes are easily and positively supported. Check this article to see how good nutrition can benefit you.
Once you adopt good health nutrition and balance it with relevant frequent body exercises and positive mindset set, the body will be kept out of different infecting and diseases. If you are out to get a perfect body weight, you must adopt a healthy eating style and add with the right nutrients in the body that will contribute to good nutrition. By putting into practice and following the right food intake, you are likely to influence the health status of the body positively.
You need to monitor the state of your body and frequently have physical exercises which will help you take full control of your overall health. Healthy eating should be practiced depending on what the body demands and the nutrients to be regulated. Right nutrition isn’t limited to a give age group and should be practiced right from birth to make sure both the young and the old are healthy in body, mind and soul.
How to balance your nutrients intake
There are different food types that work best to support healthy living through nutrition. The selection of the right food may require the attention of an expert to determine the state of the body before the right food intake is determined. You should walk your diet and nutrient intake journey with a qualified nutritionist who will advise from the point of understanding on the appropriate foods.
Obesity is one of the most disturbing issues that most individuals face. It becomes even worse when you are overweight as a teen. Nobody wants to have a body that would embarrass him/her, and that’s why many individuals are struggling to lose weight.
In this article, we are going to look at some effective weight loss tips for teens to reshaping your physique.
- The first thing is reducing the consumption of fast foods since it’s among the most unhealthy food alternatives causing different weight issues at different ages. Teen ought to be mindful of this reality and begin reducing, if not avoiding, the number of fast foods that they consume to achieve a healthier body.
- Teenagers ought to likewise begin taking part in different physical exercises whether it’s doing some exercise schedules or participating in sports. But doing this they will be more active, and this will help them to burn more calories quicker while reinforcing their bodies. Some straightforward tips on the best way to add some physical exercises everyday day schedule is strolling to school if it is nearby rather than taking a bus or taking out a dog for a walk.
- Another weight loss tip for a teen is reducing the consumption of junk foods and sweets. These sustenance types have a ton of void calories. Take a stab at eating more beneficial snacks, for example, fruits or sandwiches which are easy to eat and likewise provide the required nutrients in a teen’s diet.
- It would likewise be advisable to drink more water. Water is a standout amongst the best cleansing agents, flushing the harmful toxins in our body. By consuming more water, one is able to digest the foods consumed more effectively. There are numerous different methods for how youngsters can effectively lose weight. The critical thing is to ensure that a teen has adequate information on the best way to lose weight naturally and in a healthy way.
Bread is an integral part of the diet in most countries in the world and is the main source of energy. We see in the image that most people consume bread. There are different kinds of bread available in the market, sold by retailers, depending on the ingredients which are being used. However, increasingly doctors and nutritionists worldwide are recommending that people consume wheat bread instead of white bread. One of the reasons why wheat bread has become extremely popular is because it has better nutritional value compared to white bread which was widely consumed earlier.
Details of wheat bread nutrition which have made it popular among health-conscious people are listed below.
It is important to check the nutritional data which is provided on the packaging of the bread to ensure that it is only made from wheat since there are many other brown slices of bread available which combine different kinds of ingredients. The nutritional value of the wheat bread is directly related to the wheat which is used for making it since many of the wheat properties are retained while the bread is baked. Based on the data provided by regulatory authorities, typically a slice of whole wheat bread sold will have approximately 70 calories and contains approximately 12 grams of carbohydrates.
The other ingredients in the wheat bread are fiber, sugar, protein, and fat. The wheat bread also includes sodium and minerals like iron, magnesium, and selenium which are required for oxygen circulation, muscle functioning, healthy immune system, production of proteins and energy. One of the reasons why brown bread made from wheat is popular is because it is a very good source of fiber, which helps in proper bowel functioning and also reducing the risk of heart disease. Compared to other foods, this bread is low in fat, so it is popular with those who wish to lose weight, and other fitness enthusiasts.