You don’t have to worry if you broke your denture. Denture repairs are possible. You should head on to your dentist and tell them about it. The restoration of dentures usually happens inside a dental laboratory. A trained technician will conduct the repair of your dentists. On the other hand, cleaning your dentures properly will make them last longer. To help you with that, please click the link to know a few tips on how to clean your dentures.
Repairs to save your denture
You can consider a damaged denture as a dental emergency. For this reason, you should meet your dentist if you broke your dentures. The repair of your denture depends on the instructions of your dentist. The dentist will take a closer look at your denture’s condition. They will provide directions to the technician to follow for the denture repairs based on their thorough inspection.
A professional repair is necessary to secure a hassle-free usage of your false teeth. Additionally, a professional repair will ensure long-lasting results. Do not try to repair them by yourself at home. Since you did not undergo training to do denture repairs, you may only add more damage to it. It is not also advisable to use glue, or any adhesive to fix it back together.
A restoration of denture may take a day or up to two weeks before completion. The length of repair time depends on the condition of the denture and its damage. The average cost of denture restoration is around $100 to $200, depending on the costs charged at your dentist. The cost will also vary if you have a partial or full denture.
Repair of a damaged denture is something you don’t want to experience. In this case, you have to care for them properly.
Repairing a denture
A dental lab has trained technicians to work on the repair of damaged false teeth. They use acrylic to restore it using a quick restoration process.
- Relining: Relines happens when the gums and soft tissues in the mouth have minimal changes. You have to expect that these changes will naturally occur. During this period, it affects the denture’s fit to the wearer.
- Rebasing: Rebase is the type of repair that replaces the denture’s entire base to make them more stable. The denture needs this repair if they are close to reaching the end of its lifespan or if it’s cracked, which usually happens if dropped.
- Adjustments: These are commonly minor adjustments only. Usually, there are only adjustments on some of the denture’s aesthetic parts.
Usually, dentists recommend a repair instead of a replacement. They might only provide you with temporary dentures to protect your tooth while waiting. Below is a video showing an example of the repair process of a broken denture. This happens inside a dentistry lab.
Common causes of a broken denture
There are a few causes of why a denture becomes broken:
- A denture can break by accidentally dropping it. It is possible when it either slipped out from your mouth or during cleaning.
- Your denture can also break out of general wear and tear over time. After years of usage, you will even need to have it replaced.
- You can also break your denture by eating hard foods.
Relative to this, we have enumerated foods that you have to avoid to prevent breaking your denture.
Foods to avoid to prevent repair
You have to limit eating the following foods to prevent a repaired denture.
- Sticky foods
- Nuts and seeds.
- Crunchy produce
- Tough meats
You have to make adjustments to the food you eat or permanently not eat them while you are on your dentures.
You can visit Dentistry on Solent’s clinic in Bella Vista, NSW if you’re looking for a dental clinic that can help with your denture issues.